Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tacos el Texano




The first day I got into Irapuato, Guanajuato my cousins took me to El Texano. That was a place that I had visited on my previous visit the year before. I asked whether or not the owner was actually from Texas and I was told that he was from Irapuato but had given himself that moniker.
Anyways el Texano makes tacos that are bigger than the typical Mexican taco. I believe that night I ordered three carne asada(steak) and three chorizo tacos. We took them to go.

Now what sets taquerias in Mexico apart from alot of US taquerias is that the owner is on site most of the time and is the main taquero and puts a lot of effort into his tacos to the point where it's almost a craft. El Texano was no different as his carne asada tacos were amazing, the meat being juicy and tender but well done. A big plus was the inclusion of frijoles de la hoya(boiled pinto beans) as those will always beat out refried beans on a good taco. He was also nice enough to package the onion and cilantro separately in different baggies as we took them to go. He also included a big plate of grilled nopales which is a standard for him with big orders. The chorizo tacos were also good, not being as greasy as a lot of chorizo tacos can get. As the green, serrano salsa that I had on my tacos was super spicy and probably the second most spiciest salsa I had in all of Mexico. After eating that salsa I feel like a salsa superman and feel that I can probably eat any salsa here at home and not enchilarme. Overall tacos el Texano represented an excellent first night in Mexico and my taco adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment